Catfishing is like an epidemic. Although not contagious, it is spreading like a wild fire these days with the Internet making it simple to hide an identity. So many of our clients have been saved from Catfishing schemes over the years after our investigations. Knowing the signs of Catfishing is step one so we will list some of these at the end of this post. MSI Detective Services assists with uncovering the most sophisticated Catfishing schemes. Hundreds of thousands of Catfishing schemes have been reported over recent history resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars in losses Over 23,000 US Citizens reported being victims in 2020 alone.
Here are some of the most common Red Flags of Catfishing.
- Uses glamorous or other professional photos
- Asks for personal photos, images or videos that will be used to blackmail you in the future
- Saying no to any and all face-to-face meetings whether by video call or in person
- Photos and pictures used are found on other people’s profile
- Incorrect formatting of addresses when provided
- Few friends, followers or online connections
- A created profile that was recently created
- Asks for a loan or for money due to an unfortunate situation
- No history or trace of online activity
If your suitor meets most of these Red Flags, then you should run, not walk away.